Friday, July 30, 2010

Unfortunate News

After our October Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror issue, Flash Me Magazine will be taking an indefinite hiatus.

As the Editor-in-Chief and publisher, I am responsible for making sure each issue is published and our authors are paid. In 2011, I will be relocating overseas for three years, and I fear all of my traveling would affect the publication schedule. I would rather close things down while I am away than let the magazine’s quality suffer.

Our final issue will be October 31, 2010, and we are still accepting submissions for that special S/F/H issue until August 30th. Until then, we will be contacting all authors with submissions in our slush pile for the January 2011 issue, which will no longer be published. Those stories have not been reviewed yet, and may now be sent to other markets. We will no longer be accepting new subscription purchases, and we will contact current subscribers regarding their options.

If you have any questions or concerns about how this hiatus affects you, your work, or your subscription, please contact me at info@wingedhalo.com with the word QUERY in your subject line and I’ll be happy to answer all of your questions.

This was a very hard decision for me, but I believe it’s in the magazine’s best interests. We hope you enjoy our final two issues.

JDawson
Editor-in-Chief

3 comments:

Alan said...

This is unfortunate news! I hope we'll see Flash Me back online once you return from overseas. You'll definitely be missed.

The 4th Annual Micro Award will be open for submissions from Oct 1 - Dec 31, 2010. The Micro Award is an award for fiction not exceeding 1000 words, published in 2010. It is open to all genres. Editors may submit two stories and writers may submit one. The winner of the $500 prize and all other finalists will be announced on Feb 17, 2011. Visit our website for official rules and submission guidelines: http://www.microaward.org. Should we expect some entries from Flash Me Magazine before it shuts down this fall?

Alan Presley
Administrator

http://www.microaward.org

JDawson said...

Definitely. As soon as we have our stories selected for our final issue, we'll start our voting process for the Micro Award.

I absolutely love anything that spotlights flash fiction!

JDawson

David Steffen said...

It's a shame to see you go! I only discovered your magazine a couple months ago. As a reader and as a writer there aren't enough quality flash markets. As it is, I've got a couple entries in before your S/F/H deadline--crossing my fingers!!

I wish it could continue in some form, maybe with some of your slush readers doing editor work in your stead.

Best of luck with your trip, and I hope you start the mag back up as soon as you can!